[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Jul 31 16:36:13 ADT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Robert Ashley wrote:

> Probing IDE interface ide1...
> hdc: CREATIVE CD-RW RW1210E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Just to add to your fun and games, if that's one of the drives from the
stack I gave you don't set your heart on it working - it's been sat on my
shelf for the best part of a year (which would be why I wanted to get rid
of it...)

> hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> ATAPI device hdc:
>  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
>  Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
>  The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
>  "28 00 00 03 91 20 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 935040
> Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 233760
> Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 233761

Or to use the less than helpful MS-DOS style terminology:

"Error reading drive E:
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore?"

Try some different discs to see what happens. If it's the same block every
time the drive is toast, most probably electronics. If different blocks
turn up bad, it's probably the motor or positioning head that's gone awry,
or the head needs cleaning. If only certain discs work then the head may
be either dirty or out of alignment.

> If the ribbon cable wasn't seated, that would make too poor
> connections in a row, because the problem is exactly the same, old
> drive/new drive. I'll check for bent pins and try your "drive as
> slave" test.

Just to add to the confusion, it's always possible that two pieces of
hardware can both have the same fault, which really adds to the fun of
troubleshooting...

Cheers... Dop.