[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Jul 31 15:06:07 ADT 2007

>> No.  It is highly unlikely that anything would be wrong in the BIOS.
>> But something is wrong at the hardware level.  You say it is a brand-new
>> drive, so let's assume for now that it is good.  People keep asking if
>> you are using known-good media, i.e., disks that you can read in another
>> system, but I haven't heard a definite answer.
>>

> I haven't been explicit. Yes, all the disks work in other machines,
> cd-players etc.
>

>> That said, the errors you are getting are not just about the media, but
>> about sense errors and controller errors.  Double check that the ribbon
>> cable is plugged in correctly and solidly.  Remove it and check for bent
>> pins.  If that all looks good try a new cable.  Then try the drive in
>> another system (surely someone in Berwick or your office has a computer
>> into which you can temporarily install a drive).
>>

> If the ribbon cable wasn't seated, that would make too poor
> connections in a row, because the problem is exactly the same, old
> drive/new drive. I'll check for bent pins and try your "drive as
> slave" test.

This helps.

Ok, I'm not sure the fstab can handle multiple file types, either you
specify one type or auto.  I'm digging thru docs, but I don't see any
multiple types allowed.
I think what is happening is the disc you are using is iso9660, however
because the fstab shows    udf, iso9660 this is confusing the mounter
and trying only udf.

Change   udf,iso9660 to  either  iso9660 or auto  (which is better),
then the system will auto detect the file system type