[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Tue Jul 31 13:45:00 ADT 2007

Hi:

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 10:23 -0300, Robert Ashley wrote:

> >  Are you using the ide-scsi module?
> My USB flash drive?

err, no, he meant the kernel modules.  Try /sbin/lsmod to see what
kernel modules are loaded.

> >  You are positive the new drive is using the /dev/hdc device id correct?
> Apologies, don't know how to verify this, except to guess that  hdc
> references throughout this diagnostic morass seem to make sense, does
> that make any sense?

Well, you could look through the boot-time messages (dmesg | less) to
see what is being detected, but I don't think that is your problem since
some stuff sort-of works.

> bob at ashley:~$ cat /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> Why does /dev/hdc refer to /media/cdrom0? If I go to /dev, I can only
> find /cdrom1? No /cdrom0. There's no /media directory listed in /dev.
> Something conceptual, file-wise is escaping me here.

Why are you looking for /media in /dev? Try man 5 fstab.  The first
field specifies the block special device you want to mount, the second
field is the mount point, and for /dev/hdc it is /media/cdrom0.  Try "ls
-l /media".

> I'd just as soon start over if I could, do a complete reinstall of the
> distribution, but I can't even boot from the CD.

Nahh, you don't want to do that.  All that is going to do is get you
back to where you are now.  I mean, what would change?

>  Wouldn't that suggest
> something awry in the BIOS itself?

No.  It is highly unlikely that anything would be wrong in the BIOS.
But something is wrong at the hardware level.  You say it is a brand-new
drive, so let's assume for now that it is good.  People keep asking if
you are using known-good media, i.e., disks that you can read in another
system, but I haven't heard a definite answer.

That said, the errors you are getting are not just about the media, but
about sense errors and controller errors.  Double check that the ribbon
cable is plugged in correctly and solidly.  Remove it and check for bent
pins.  If that all looks good try a new cable.  Then try the drive in
another system (surely someone in Berwick or your office has a computer
into which you can temporarily install a drive).

If the drive checks out OK and the cable is OK, then you kind of have to
suspect the IDE controller.  You could try jumpering the drive as slave
and putting it on the same cable as the HD.

Good luck with all this.

--
Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca>