[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:23:35 ADT 2007

Rich,

Thanks for the diagnostic sleuthing effort!

>  Are you using the ide-scsi module?
My USB flash drive? When I plug it in, it weirdly prompts a cdrom
desktop icon AND a removable media icon.

>  You are positive the new drive is using the /dev/hdc device id correct?
Apologies, don't know how to verify this, except to guess that  hdc
references throughout this diagnostic morass seem to make sense, does
that make any sense?

>  Were there any jumper changes - can it be using /dev/hdd ?

No jumper changes. Same as before.

>  What drives are under  ls -al  /proc/ide ?

bob at ashley:~$ ls -al /proc/ide
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x   4 root root 0 2007-07-31 09:23 .
dr-xr-xr-x 102 root root 0 2007-07-31 09:18 ..
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 2007-07-31 09:23 drivers
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root 8 2007-07-31 09:23 hda -> ide0/hda
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root 8 2007-07-31 09:23 hdc -> ide1/hdc
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root root 0 2007-07-31 09:23 ide0
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root root 0 2007-07-31 09:23 ide1

>  Can it be the mount options?
>
>  Try
>  mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc   /media/cdrom0

ashley:/home/bob# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

>  Maybe it was ignoring the -t option at the end of the cmd

bob at ashley:/dev$ cdplay hdc
cdplay: can't play (no_disc)  [ with no disc in drive]

bob at ashley:/dev$ cdplay hdc
 [light comes on and drive spins]

So, there is a different cd drive response between cdtools on the
console and Gnome's CD-Player on the desktop. The latter does not
recognize a disc, the former does.

bob at ashley:~$ cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

Why does /dev/hdc refer to /media/cdrom0? If I go to /dev, I can only
find /cdrom1? No /cdrom0. There's no /media directory listed in /dev.
Something conceptual, file-wise is escaping me here.

bob at ashley:/dev$ ls
--snip--
cdrom1   loop5     ram15       tty11   tty33  tty55    vcs
--snip--
hda      mixer     ram9        tty19   tty40  tty62    vcsa
hda1     net       random      tty2    tty41  tty63    vcsa1
hda2     null      rtc         tty20   tty42  tty7     vcsa2
hda5     parport0  sequencer   tty21   tty43  tty8     vcsa3
hdc      port      sequencer2  tty22   tty44  tty9     vcsa4
--snip--

I'd just as soon start over if I could, do a complete reinstall of the
distribution, but I can't even boot from the CD. Wouldn't that suggest
something awry in the BIOS itself? I'm guessing at that because isn't
it true that that the kernel is not loaded until AFTER the BIOS has
done its thing? It tries, the cd drive spins
up/down/up/down/up/down...BIOS then says, "to heck with you" and boots
hda.  Wouldn't this be further supported by the presence of the
Input/Output errors showing up in the dmesg log?

Maybe  I oughta try something more radical? Like what?

Bob