[nSLUG] Re: Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Jul 31 02:23:37 ADT 2007

Rich quoth:

> ...usually when I make an ISO, I always test it using a
> loopback device.  If the block settings are incorrect when creating
> the ISO, the disks are pretty much paper weights.. well more like
> frisbees.

I've had no problem with the ISO on the HD.  In fact, I often mount it
to look something up rather than go find the CD.

> As for old drives, again well.. depending on the CD-R's.  Many older
> CD-R's couldn't handle the 80min CDR, but that was quite a few years
> ago.  As for DVD, same issue - its the old betamax vs vhs when it
> comes to DVD-R's - either DVD+R or DVD-R.  Most drives are
> "somewhat" compatible.  I have a LG drive that works excellent with
> DVD-R discs, however, with DVD+R I get a coaster every now and then.
> The new ones have painted tops so you can add designs to you
> coasters now. :)

Gak! I just don't understand all the media options.  I use CD-R disks.
I suppose I should learn more.  Where's a straightforward doc that
explains the differences between -R, +R and all the other variants?

Hey, somewhere here I have the MIT Media Lab Annual Report, circa
1989, in the form of a bilingual multimedia presentation on a 12"
video disk.  I wonder if there's any way to play that on a Linux box.

> As for old drives, again well...

My 2 older drives (in two Toshiba Satellite Pro 430cds laptops) show
no more problems than the new drives in the desktop boxen.  (The BIOS
is too old to boot CDs without the sbootmgr utility but works with
it -- er, except when I'm having a problem with a particular CD, of
course. Grumble.)

But the OP said he was using a new CD drive so his problem shouldn't
be ancient-hardware related.

> The new [DVDs] have painted tops so you can add designs to you
> coasters now. :)

And the plastic is useful.  Often I need a piece of fairly rigid but
thin, non-conductive material to repair this or make that.  You can
cut CDs easily with tin snips.  I just snipped one up to modify a
switch mounting hole in a surge protector.  (Jeez, you'd think you
could buy a 115V 10A rocker switch of the sort that used to be
commonplace on electronics but nooooo, nobody has one or even
remembers ever having seen one.  Had to buy a completely different
switch, make plastic and aluminum parts, modify the housing with a
dental drill....gak!.)

Ooops, I'm ranting.  Sorry.

- Mike

                                                           /V\