[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Jul 31 01:21:56 ADT 2007

Mike Spencer wrote:
> I don't know if you said whether or not the CD(s) that wouldn't work
> were home-burned or professionally produced.  Perhaps I wasn't paying
> attention. So...
>
> I've had trouble with home-burned CDs.  At one point, I had 5 drives
> available and bootable Slackware disks that someone burned for me.
> They variously wouldn't boot, wouldn't mount, would boot sometimes but
> not always or would mount but have read errors.  My machines are
> rather old but 3 of the 5 drives were new or fairly new.  I felt like
> I'd returned to the bad old days of 5-1/4" floppies that would only
> work on the drive that had written them.  Welcome back, Osborne I!
>
> Eventually, I managed to get a good mount and a good dd of the entire
> disk as an ISO to my HD.  Then I burned 3 or 4 copies myself from the
> image on the HD until I got one that seemed to work reliably.
>
> So I dunno if that experience is typical or not. (Is it?)  If it is,
> maybe you need to replace or re-burn the CD(s).
>
> But that isn't relevant, I don't think, to being unable to play a
> music CD so maybe it's not relevant at all.

Hi Mike,   (sorry was thinking of the old Canmore joke from Air Farce. :)

Anyway... :)   usually when I make an ISO, I always test it using a
loopback device.
If the block settings are incorrect when creating the ISO, the disks are
pretty much paper weights.. well more like frisbees.

As for old drives, again well.. depending on the CD-R's.  Many older
CD-R's couldn't handle the 80min CDR, but that was quite a few years ago.
As for DVD, same issue - its the old betamax vs vhs when it comes to
DVD-R's - either DVD+R or DVD-R.  Most drives are "somewhat" compatible.
I have a LG drive that works excellent with DVD-R discs, however, with
DVD+R I get a coaster every now and then.  The new ones have painted
tops so you can add designs to you coasters now. :)

I learned the hard way with floppies.  3.5" seem to break down just as
fast as the 5.25" did.  I've had several LOST disks where the data was
totally unreadable.
Oh well... so far CD-Rs I burned many years ago are still working.
However, I've noticed a bunch of the old CD-R 1x speed discs have many
issues with today's drives. They are pretty much toast.  Lots of CRC errors.