[nSLUG] Re: Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Jul 31 01:06:01 ADT 2007

I don't know if you said whether or not the CD(s) that wouldn't work
were home-burned or professionally produced.  Perhaps I wasn't paying
attention. So...

I've had trouble with home-burned CDs.  At one point, I had 5 drives
available and bootable Slackware disks that someone burned for me.
They variously wouldn't boot, wouldn't mount, would boot sometimes but
not always or would mount but have read errors.  My machines are
rather old but 3 of the 5 drives were new or fairly new.  I felt like
I'd returned to the bad old days of 5-1/4" floppies that would only
work on the drive that had written them.  Welcome back, Osborne I!

Eventually, I managed to get a good mount and a good dd of the entire
disk as an ISO to my HD.  Then I burned 3 or 4 copies myself from the
image on the HD until I got one that seemed to work reliably.

So I dunno if that experience is typical or not. (Is it?)  If it is,
maybe you need to replace or re-burn the CD(s).

But that isn't relevant, I don't think, to being unable to play a
music CD so maybe it's not relevant at all.

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\