[nSLUG] Problem with XFCE (was: re: Gnome to KDE-->Stymied at kdm Login Screen)

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Mon Jul 30 20:38:10 ADT 2007

Hi Everybody

I like neither KDE nor Gnome - to me they both ignore the basic UNIX
design philosophy of one program does one small thing well and to do
something more complex you combine programs to achieve your desired
result. I didn't give Gnome much of a chance after I discovered that
just about *everything* in Gnome required nautilus to be active, and
I didn't like nautilus. And KDE is just too monolithic and determined
to add its own layer to those already adequately provided for by the
operating system. Why, for example, is there a need for something
like kdepasswd when passwd works very well from the command line?

What I would like is a system whereby the window manager (selected
from among several/many available) can be combined with a taskbar
(selected from among several/many available), a start menu applet
(selected from among several/many available) and an Xresources
settings manager, etc. For me the Xresources settings manager is the
deal-maker/breaker in a desktop system. It is too much of a pain in
the you-know-where to have to manually edit the .Xresources file and
set resources for applications either individually or collectively.

So I tried XFCE which appeared to be much "lighter weight" than either
KDE or Gnome and I preferred it to both Gnome and KDE. However, I
discovered several times that one of its components created a runaway
process (I am using Ubuntu 6.06/Dapper Drake and the XFCE version is
4.3.0-0ubuntu1). So I reverted back to KDE. Has anyone else come up
against this problem with XFCE?

Is there a set of Xwindows applications out there that follows the
design philosophy outlined above?

This discussion started around a problem with switching from gdm to
kdm. When I first installed my favourite Linux distro (Libranet,
since gone defunct) several years ago I found that it used gdm with
kde. Later I tried other distributions and discovered I preferred gdm
to kdm. So I always install gdm and make sure kdm is not installed

Regards

Jack