[nSLUG] CD/DVD installation

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 11:43:24 ADT 2007

On 27/07/07, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Subscriptions Robin wrote:
>
> > At the risk of being flamed, someone told me years ago that it's better
> > to leave the system plugged in so that it and, indirectly, you, are
> > grounded, and there's less chance of static discharge damaging
> > components when handling them.
>
> This was the case years ago, with AT power supplies. ATX power supplies
> have a "soft-on" feature (similar in principle to standby on a TV) so they
> are still drawing a small amount of current even when they appear to be
> off.

Best case scenario: your ATX power supply has a master power switch (on
the back) in addition to the regular 'soft on' power switch (on the
front).

Then you can switch off the master power switch, wait 10-30 seconds for
the capacitors to drain, and work on the system, still plugged in and
grounded.

However some cheaper ATX power supplies lack a master power switch, so you
can never really turn them off without pulling the plug.

-D.