[nSLUG] CD/DVD installation

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jul 26 13:29:11 ADT 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Kevin Fleming wrote:

> As to the heat issue, I don't try to stuff a load of electronics into a
> small space unless I really need to, and then it's helpful to know the
> power consumption of the devices used so you can add the proper heat
> sinks or other methods of dumping heat outside the case to keep the
> components cool.

Speaking of which (particularly in the weather we're having); powertop
(http://www.linuxpowertop.org) is worth giving a whirl, along with the
latest kernel with tickless enabled. I took the power consumption on my
desktop from 120-130W down to around 90W, which dropped the CPU
temperature by 10C from 45C to 35C. This also had a knock-on effect on my
drives, allowing them to run a few degrees cooler, as well.

5W of this reduction was due to removing a bunch of applets, and hacking
those I wanted to keep not to wake up too often. This also resulted in a
significantly more responsive machine.

Cheers... Dop.