[nSLUG] CD/DVD installation

Kevin Fleming kfleming at accesswave.ca
Thu Jul 26 13:08:08 ADT 2007

Oops! My bad!  I totally forgot about the drive jumpers. I'll kick
myself over it later.

As for being sceptical on the newer DVD-RW technology, since it's
becoming a mature technology, I really don't see the reasoning behind
the scepticism.

As to not needing the ability to write DVD's, sure, you may not need the
ability today.... But what about tomorrow, when you find yourself
frantically looking for another CD to add to the pile for your backup on
a large drive when you could just as easily use a lot less plastic and
other resources like computer time or your time.

As to the heat issue, I don't try to stuff a load of electronics into a
small space unless I really need to, and then it's helpful to know the
power consumption of the devices used so you can add the proper heat
sinks or other methods of dumping heat outside the case to keep the
components cool.

Most desktop cases these days are more empty space than anything else,
and a few extra fans using the on board fan connectors from your
motherboard are easily installed in the case for flow thru ventilation.
I really fail to see why anyone using a computer would want to have it
so small someone can just filch the thing and stuff it into a briefcase
and walk off with it. Being unwieldy has its advantages.

Once again, just my two cents worth.......

--
Kevin Fleming
BlackBerry Technical Support Desktop Analyst