[nSLUG] Scale 1-10 of CD/DVD installation

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 09:06:12 ADT 2007

On 7/24/07, Kevin Fleming <kfleming at accesswave.ca> wrote:

> > I wasn't particularly enamoured of my brief intro to KDE and I tried
> > it because I don't particularly like Gnome either. I've tried a couple
> > of the WMs that you can choose at login--metacity and something else,
> > both of which are pretty lame. Suggestions?
> >
> > I think I'll get a new CD-ROM drive. On a scale of 1-10 how easy/hard
> > is this for me to do myself?

It is one of the easiest hardware tasks.  You should be aware of static
precautions (not much of an issue today unless you are in and A/C
environment) and heat -- you shouldn't replace a CD reader in one of
those older compact form factor desktops with a writer because the
system wasn't designed to handle the extra heat.

> If all you are doing is a CD or DVD drive, it's dead easy. 3 on a scale
> of 1-10. Just open the case and locate the screws holding the CD/DVD in
> place, remove the screws, remove any ribbon cables from the rear and
> also the power supply cable and sound output cable if applicable, then
> slide the beast out the front of the computer case.
>
> Once it is clear, just reverse the order of steps and you will have the
> new CD/DVD installed shortly.  After you have inserted all cables (which
> are keyed), you should be able to boot the box and your drive will be
> detected and if your BIOS is set to boot from an alternate drive you
> will hear the sweet sounds of success.

You should check jumper settings on the old drive -- usually there are
settings for Master/Slave/Cable Select.   I've had a few older Dell systems
where just matching the original setting (no jumpers=CS) didn't work.  I
suspect some OEM drives may have been tweaked so (no jumpers=slave)
to save a few seconds on the assembly line.

> BTW, IMHO a new dual layer DVD-RW, or if you want to get jiggy, and can
> afford it, a Blu-ray or high density drive would be best as you are able
> to do both CD and DVD/new media style burns.  I have both a DVD-R and
> dual layer -RW that accepts multi-format disks, in the box, but that's
> just me.  They are cheap enough now to be able to find one for a good
> price and install it.

I'm skeptical of the reliability of the newest technology.  If you don't need
to write DVD's, then CDRW/DVDR drives are bog standard, cheap, and
usually reliable.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia