[nSLUG] Calendar EID for event changed (was Re: LUG Meetings...)

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:31:44 ADT 2007

On Tue, 2007-24-07 at 17:08 -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Or I may just be confused about how to use this calendar.  The first
> thing I tried was to add it to my own calendar.  This cloned the
> event, which is pretty useless because, while I can invite myself to
> my own event on my own calendar, nobody else can see it.  This defeats
> the point of a calendar for the group.  On the other hand, if I just
> subscribe to the group calendar, I can't add myself to the event (not
> having been invited, I suppose).

After some playing with the application, I think only the meeting
organizer can specifically invite people to the event. After guests are
added, they can in turn invite others. This is probably the right
behaviour for something like a private party, but not a meeting where
you actually _want_ random people to come. :)

> So how are we supposed to use it?  Shouldn't we be able to keep track
> of who's coming, etc.?

It looks like it's impossible to really use it that way. Further, it
seems like I'm the only one who can add events to the Calendar.
Sometimes software just doesn't work the way you'd like it to,
unfortunately.

Ah well, it was worth a try (I've seen Google Calendar work well for
other purposes, and wanted to see how it would work for this). In the
future, maybe planning LUG meetings out on the wiki is a better
approach.
--
William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com>