[nSLUG] Gnome to KDE-->Stymied at kdm Login Screen

Jonathan Anderson jonathan.anderson at ieee.org
Tue Jul 24 08:00:37 ADT 2007

Easy things first:

> I think I'll get a new CD-ROM drive. On a scale of 1-10 how easy/hard
> is this for me to do myself?

On a scale of 1 (child's play) to 10 (better wake Mr. Turing to help), it's
probably a 2: you may need a screwdriver.

You may also need to change a Master/Slave jumper, but there really shouldn't
be anything to it after that.

> I wasn't particularly enamoured of my brief intro to KDE and I tried
> it because I don't particularly like Gnome either. I've tried a couple
> of the WMs that you can choose at login--metacity and something else,
> both of which are pretty lame. Suggestions?

It's unfortunate that KDM is rougher around the edges than GDM, because I am a
big fan of KDE (WARNING: incoming biased commentary).

I used to be an Openbox kind of guy, and on older hardware, I still might make
it my first choice. On a fast machine, however, where I can afford a full
Desktop Environment, it's all about KDE.

To me, it's just the right way to do a desktop environment. It's all based on
Qt (a really sweet toolkit), and developing high-quality applications is
easer than you'd think (especially if you're used to a C API). The backend
work that they do (especially in the runup to KDE4) is quite impressive; just
look at this:

AudioPlayer* player = new AudioPlayer(Phonon::NotificationCategory);
connect(player, SIGNAL(finished()), player, SLOT(deleteLater()));
player->play(url);

Boom. Media file playing. That's it.

Of course, most users don't get into that stuff, but I think you'll also find
the environment very customizable for your needs. That, and I love
kio_slaves... it's quite satisfying to type "bluetooth:/" into *any* KDE app
and have my phone pop up like it was a folder. Or to use "fish:/" and edit
remote FIles over sSH as if they were here on my desktop. Or media:/, ipod:/,
etc.

Oh, and there are fewer flamewars between the leadership and Linus! :)

Anyway, if you don't like KDE or GNOME (and their window managers, kwin and
Metacity), you should check out:

- a *box (blackbox, fluxbox, openbox, etc.)
- Enlightenment
- GNUStep

to see if you like them. Me, I'm stickin' with KDE (though I sometimes use
Beryl for my Window Manager).

#!/jon