[nSLUG] Gnome to KDE-->Stymied at kdm Login Screen

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 00:39:00 ADT 2007

Thanks Devin. I've been fiddling around...

I've made some progress. I'd try booting from a lesser kernel and
selecting single user mode. Then, in the console, after considerable
lines of start up script, I got a root prompt. I took the bait, and
did a startx. That got me onto the KDE desktop. I promptly removed KDE
and kdm, logged out, and got back to a gdm log-in to Gnome.

I seem to be up and running, except I'm getting a "Can't initialize
HAL" warning, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything yet.

I wasn't particularly enamoured of my brief intro to KDE and I tried
it because I don't particularly like Gnome either. I've tried a couple
of the WMs that you can choose at login--metacity and something else,
both of which are pretty lame. Suggestions?

I think I'll get a new CD-ROM drive. On a scale of 1-10 how easy/hard
is this for me to do myself?

bob