[nSLUG] Open port on Ubuntu box

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Jul 18 23:20:09 ADT 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 07:12:19PM -0700, Michael Crawford wrote:
> Is the port you're trying to connect to allowed to receive
> connections?  I don't have a Linux box handy to tell you just how, but
> it has to be listed in (I think) /etc/hosts.allow

Only if the server uses, or is run through something else that uses,
tcp wrappers. Could be the case, especially with a distro package, but
it's not standard... for example, on Debian, OpenSSH is linked with
libwrap, Apache is not.

Check to make sure something is actually listening on the port you're
trying to connect to. (man netstat)

If it is, check to see where the connection is dying... ie are packets
coming in? Are packets going back out? (man tcpdump)

Hope that helps.