[nSLUG] Cautions on Installing FF plugs-ins - Deb-Etch?

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 22:54:39 ADT 2007

Appreciate your input, George. Instructive.

> Intimidation usually results from lack of preparation/background knowledge.
> The trick is to break things down into small steps.

Couldn't agree more, I confess.

> Take stock of your background in relation to the needs of multimedia and
> LAMP.  Put together a reading list and think of some simple exercises to test
> what you are about to learn.    For multimedia, you might aim to create a
> web site (using LAMP, and perhaps only visible on your own home network)
> of titles or TV schedules to relate LAMP to your interests in
> multimedia.  Break
> this down into lots of small steps that you can master one by one.
> In practice,
> many people use LAMP and multimedia with very little knowledge of most of
> the components.  It is pretty simple to get most of the ingredients in
> ready-to-run
> form, so you can just focus on really mastering one or two components, and pick
> up the others later.  Which ones you choose depend on your interests and the
> learning resources that are available.

Are you an educator? Ha! Coincidentally, I was thinking about your
very suggestion to create a web site with a LAMP foundation. Here, of
course, is where I managed to intimidate myself in short order, this
team of behemothic programs.

> When working with open source, it always helps to have basic programming skills,
> by which I mean:
>
> 1.  the ability to come up with an algorithm that implements some task
> 2.  an understanding of how compilers and interpreters, linkers, and
> loaders work
> 3.  basic knowledge of the tools on your platform
>
> At this level, you don't want to get bogged down in the details of
> particular languages.
> MIT uses scheme (a lisp interpreter) for intro to progamming.   Pick a
> simple task
> and write a program to do it a new language each week.  My first
> program did matrix multiplication: read data, read matrix, compute
> product, write result.  I've written the
> same program with slight variations in many languages, but the most interesting
> was for a problem that cost thousands of dollars to run on a mainframe
> time-sharing service.  Just then, PC's with 8087 numerical
> co-processors came along.  The
> matrix was way too big to store in a PC's memory, so I implemented the
> multiplication by reading one column of the matrix at time.   On the original
> 5mhz PC you could solve the problem in a few days, and with the money you
> saved you could pay for the PC.

Kewl! There's a slew of LAMP literature. Got a favorite, minimally
intimidating?

Thanks,

Bob