[nSLUG] Cautions on Installing FF plugs-ins - Deb-Etch?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 19:43:31 ADT 2007

On 7/16/07, Robert Ashley <rb.ashley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using Debian Etch 4.0, quite content.  Almost boringly so...no issues!
>
> I was thinking about installing some FireFox (IceWeasel) plug-ins
> (e.g. Adobe flash player).  I found some intelligible instructions at
> Linuxforums.org:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2flh5u
>
> A couple of questions: Is it dumb to start down this road of tweaking
> when I'm using Debian's stable version? I mean, should I properly move
> to Lenny/testing, and then fiddle away?
>
> So far, I've made a point of restricting my download sources to the
> stable repositories. I don't know why, though! I have no great need
> for super stability since this is my home fool-around box. No
> mission-critical stuff. And I think I'm mired in the newbie phase
> because, well, errmm, I've been spoiled lazy doing everything in
> X-windows (Gnome) for everything.
>
> Any thoughts from our experienced crew on this thinking?  he-he
>
> I might add that a few years back, most nsluggers advised the then
> newbie (version 0.50) to stick to ONE distro. I've followed that
> advice and I think it's done me well (insofar as I have learned some
> stuff(newbie version 1.0). But I've become complacent because nothing
> ever seems to go wrong with Debian in my house. Nice problem eh?
>
> I guess I have a hankering for a small wake-up project.

There are lots of projects that can benefit from individual testers input, some
for totally new apps, so for updates to existing apps.

Think of some area where you have some interest or knowledge or
experience, then look for new software that is related to that area.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia