[nSLUG] Back order a domain with a Canadian registrar?

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Thu Jan 25 14:04:05 AST 2007

On 1/25/07, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 12:02:08PM -0500, Joe Dunn wrote:
> > If you want the best http://www.webnames.ca/ they are the CDN registrar for
> > ALL Canada. Every registrar buys their names from them. (Yanks and local)
>
> It's not clear that he wants "the best". It looks to me that he's more
> interested in sniping a domain name and making it as difficult as
> possible for the previous owner to challenge it.

The domain will not ever actually be 'deleted'. There are a hundreds
of companies who buy up registrars slots in the verisign domain
deletion pool and grab all useful (and many completely useless)
domains. There will not be one but several of these entities all
fighting for it (you would be a client of just one of them).

The other possibility is that the domain will be rescued by the
existing registrar and kept for themselves, possibly to be sold on to
a speculator later. I've seen this happen many times.. instead of
being deleted the domain stays with the existing registrar and the
details suddenly change to the registrar's "private registration"
contact details.

I wouldn't bother paying money to have someone 'snipe' your domain
because chances are they won't get it and you'll only be out their
fee. In the murky world of domains, if they think it's worth more than
they charged you and they do succeed in re registering the domain
they'll probably just keep it (or rather assign it to an affiliated
business) anyway.

The cheapest way to obtain the domain would be to get the original
owner to agree to sell it to you. If the domain has not yet been
deleted it can probably still be recovered by the original owner by
paying the existing registry ~$80.00 (and obviously changing the whois
information so that it's compliant).

Robert.

!DSPAM:45b8f2a546591439621420!