[nSLUG] User agent spoofing

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Jan 24 00:57:05 AST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 12:40 -0400, Gerard MacNeil wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 11:42 -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>
> > So it appears no amount of tweaking of the UserAgent string will fix this site.  The content of the page will have to be rewritten to make it work.
>
> I tried the Opera 8.5.1 (Win XP) setting which uses the User agent
> Opera/8.51 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
>
> gxinestart-plugin picked it up but does not play the format
>
> I uninstalled all xinelib stuff. try again. The flashplugin is not
> invoked.
> It wants me to install support for MIME type application/x-mplayer2
>
> So, I installed mplayer (wanted a plugin) and mozilla-mplayer (the
> plugin) which gets me to the screen. It produced a nice "loading"
> message and not much else.
>
> I repeated the same exercise with vlc and mozilla-plugin-vlc. Same
> results.
> I peered through the source view of the resulting screen.
>
> Flash is used to manage a menu of shows on the right side of the screen
> and for the controls under the video.  The video wants Windows Media
> Player.

I can get flash working with the latest flash 9 for Linux,
however, it seems the video is using WMP 11.0.  Have you checked the
MPlayer HQ site for the latest Win32 libs?   Seem it won't work until
WMP 11.0 DDL's are setup to run under MPlayer.

I tried a few different User Agent strings, seems the main problem using
MSIE as the browser engine is it runs an internal function to check for
Shockwave.  I don't think the MIME-types will help, only for Mozilla
based UA's.  Unless there is a way to spoof the response. :)

Don't you just love Microsoft's standards... I love how they are always
5 to 10 years behind mainstream.. and tout innovation when they finally
catch up ... but even then its too late...

!DSPAM:45b6e71b206221050591878!