[nSLUG] User agent spoofing

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 22:12:09 AST 2007

Hello,

I guess we all agree that using OS / browser detection to deny users
access to a website is a broken policy.

It's nice and dandy to work around that bullshit but I think it's also
important to let the site creators know that it's an unnecessary
inacceptable annoyance. The more people complain the bigger the chance
that they stop implementing such nonsense.

It find it acceptable to show a message that the OS / browser is not
explicitly supported and that you might not be able to take full
advantage of the site.

I like what Gmail does: It falls back to a basic HTML version for
browsers that do not fully support all the JavaScript, CSS and other
fancy technologies that the Gmail site usually uses _and_ it lets the
user know about this with the mild suggestion to use a more capable
browser.

Interestingly, I noticed this behaviour of Gmail yesterday when I tried
the "User Agent Switcher" extension in Firefox: I had set it to
"Netscape 4.8 (Windows XP)" and had forgotten to switch back to default.

cheers
Oliver

--
Oliver Doepner