[nSLUG] User agent spoofing

Gerard MacNeil aa030 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Jan 23 12:40:56 AST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 11:42 -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> So it appears no amount of tweaking of the UserAgent string will fix this site.  The content of the page will have to be rewritten to make it work.

I tried the Opera 8.5.1 (Win XP) setting which uses the User agent
Opera/8.51 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)

gxinestart-plugin picked it up but does not play the format

I uninstalled all xinelib stuff. try again. The flashplugin is not
invoked.
It wants me to install support for MIME type application/x-mplayer2

So, I installed mplayer (wanted a plugin) and mozilla-mplayer (the
plugin) which gets me to the screen. It produced a nice "loading"
message and not much else.

I repeated the same exercise with vlc and mozilla-plugin-vlc. Same
results.
I peered through the source view of the resulting screen.

Flash is used to manage a menu of shows on the right side of the screen
and for the controls under the video.  The video wants Windows Media
Player.

Gerard

about:plugins

from flashplugin-nonfree
Shockwave Flash
        File name: libflashplayer.so
        Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31
swf,spl

from mozilla-mplayer
Windows Media Player Plugin
        File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
        mplayerplug-in 3.31
for application/x-mplayer2 Media Files

from mozilla-plugin-vlc
VLC Multimedia Plugin
        File name: libvlcplugin.so
        Version 0.8.6a Janus, copyright 1996-2006 The VideoLAN Team
for application/x-mplayer2 Media Files

!DSPAM:45b63a91172181219917631!