[nSLUG] User agent spoofing

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jan 23 11:42:26 AST 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:56:37 -0400
Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> http://broadband.tsn.ca/broadband/broadband/scripts/dojo/dojo.js

mispasted.  should be:

http://broadband.tsn.ca/broadband/scripts/dojo/dojo.js

In the Firefox User Agent Switcher, I have imported the following large list of UserAgent strings to try:

http://qainsight.net/content/binary/AgentStrings12.xml

Unfortunately, this was little help.  I tried first to impersonate Firefox 2.0 for XP, and then Firefox 1.5 Mac/OSX.  These messages were the result:

- - -

Firefox users need to install the following ActiveX compatibility plug-in:

Windows Media Player ActveX plug-in

To begin the installation, you may need to add our site to your list of
trusted sites.

- - -

No Windows Media Player or Flip4Mac plug-in detected!

If you are running an Intel based Mac, you need Flip4Mac.

- - -

So it appears no amount of tweaking of the UserAgent string will fix this site.  The content of the page will have to be rewritten to make it work.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org

!DSPAM:45b62cec167492104912534!