[nSLUG] User agent spoofing

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jan 23 10:30:43 AST 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:36:27 -0400
"J. Paul Bissonnette" <jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Write them a email saying Due to the security risks imposed by MS
> windows we are using Linux as our OS of choice.

What does it matter what our reasons are?  This sounds like moralizing.

>  Why do you
> discriminate? If  TSN does not want Linux user to access parts of TSN's
> site do you realy expect then to watch your programs?

Do you think attacking them will get better results than giving them
positive reasons to help us?

> I tried to, but received a warning that the email page was not found
>
> If you want to send an email, under services  click on website ->
> contact us. You receive this message. "
>
> Do you have a question or concern about TSN? In order to get your
> questions to the people who can best answer them, we have developed this
> help system.
> "
>
> That is all they wrote.  That is one way to avoid criticism :)

Let's first prove that just by spoofing the UserAgent we can make it work.  Then let's report the UserAgent strings of the browsers we are using that work and kindly request that they adjust their browser sniffing code to allow these browsers access to their site (preferably phrased as a patch).  I don't think it's at all constructive to rail out against their "discrimination".  It is more likely that, either due to ignorance, lack of resources to support less popular browsers/platforms, or both, they have made their site inaccessible to us.  I see no conspiracy against Linux users here, so let's not act like a bunch of flaky zealots with persecution complexes.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity (or ignorance).

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org

!DSPAM:45b61c1b161889217174663!