[nSLUG] Re: "system-config-packages" package manager in Redhat sucks

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:21:12 AST 2007

I've since learned that up2date is used on the
command line with some of the same features I
would be accustomed to from apt-get.  up2date can
list all of the available packages from Redhat.
It can install packages and dependencies automatically
from the command line without a GUI.  I had previously
misunderstood that it was only for updating
currently installed packages.

Redhat EL 5 will officially incorporate yum
I'm told.  In recent training I've done with Redhat,
most of the system-config* wizards were denigrated
as sometimes useful for learning the config file
syntax, but after that, no one uses them.
Not because we're all so clever we don't need
a GUI, but because the GUIs are a poor substitute
for editing the configs in vi.  I knew this was
true back in the days of Redhat 7, but I expected
a good deal of improvement over the years might
have brought their GUI tools up to the level of KDE
control panel or synaptic, for example.  Now I understand
why Ubuntu and others feel there is a good
niche for something that regular PC users can
install and configure.  Also that comment from
a Redhat exec in 2003, advising people to install
Windows for their desktops...

--Donald

On 12/15/06, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having difficulty remembering exactly how it looked and
> behaved, but my memory of gnorpm back in RH 7.3 was
> that it ran fairly intelligent package selection and dependancy
> resolution.
>
> Today I saw the wizard oriented system-config-packages
> and it was a hassle and disappointment.
>
> - It had problems detecting when the CD was inserted,
> - It asked for CDs to be inserted multiple times with a
>   large group of packages to install,
> - It was unable to auto-resolve dependancies and suggest
>   installing them with a simple "OK" or "yes" prompt,
> - It lost changes done under the package group "Details"
>   sublist after getting a complaint about the dependancies
>
> Is there another package management front end in/from
> Redhat that works better?
>
> --Donald

!DSPAM:45b26bab231913484225020!