[nSLUG] Re: Non-install stuff that fits installfest lessons

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Jan 17 15:42:58 AST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:23:17AM -0500, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:24:53AM -0400, Oliver Doepner wrote:
>

> > I might need help in setting up an IMAP server (cyrus?),
>
> Dovecot is the IMAP server for you. It is easy to
> configure. (Debian/sarge users: dovecot parkages are at backports.org)

Seconded. I switched away from courier about a year or two ago, and I
haven't looked back. Especially since dovecot can handle SASL
authentication for Postfix and SQL backends now.

> > an LDAP server
> > for addressbooks
>
> Unless things have changed substaintially in the past year this is no
> easy task. It is simple to point an email client at a *populated* LDAP
> server to get email addresses. It is much harder to setup address
> books that a client can write to. There are a number of HowTos
> written, but none quite work. I would suggest that setting up an LDAP
> server for user addressbooks is beyond the scope of an InstallFest.
>
> My solution to the address sync across platforms problem was to write
> a script to convert between formats. The abook package is an address
> book for the mutt email reader, but it can also convert between a
> number of address book formats.

I would imagine that Evolution supports something like this out of the
box, since it was targeted as an outlook/exchange replacement. I'm not
certain though since I don't use it.

Worst case you could likely hack something together with LBDB, I know
it has an LDAP plugin... I would assume it's read-only though.