[nSLUG] Re: Non-install stuff that fits installfest lessons

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 13:09:58 AST 2007

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Gregory wrote:
> Dovecot is the IMAP server for you. It is easy to
> configure. (Debian/sarge users: dovecot parkages are at backports.org)

Interesting. Will you be at the installfest? Maybe I will give that
Dovecot thing a try in the next week and then at the 27th we could look
at what I managed to get working?

> My solution to the address sync across platforms problem was to write
> a script to convert between formats. The abook package is an address
> book for the mutt email reader, but it can also convert between a
> number of address book formats.

That's what I currently do: I manage all my contacts in the (pretty
sophisticated) addressbook of my German freemail provider (freemail.de)
and import it every now and then as an LDIF into Thunderbird on my laptop.

But I prefer to have only _one_ place where I keep my contacts and
importing/exporting is repetitive, inconvenient and error-prone.

I agree that the full LDAP addressbook installation will take a while
but well, the installfest is planned to last from 1 to 5:30pm ... and I
don't expect continuous handholding ... :)

see you
Oliver

--
Oliver Doepner