[nSLUG] Re: Non-install stuff that fits installfest lessons

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Jan 17 12:23:17 AST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:24:53AM -0400, Oliver Doepner wrote:

> I might need help in setting up an IMAP server (cyrus?),

Dovecot is the IMAP server for you. It is easy to
configure. (Debian/sarge users: dovecot parkages are at backports.org)

> an LDAP server
> for addressbooks

Unless things have changed substaintially in the past year this is no
easy task. It is simple to point an email client at a *populated* LDAP
server to get email addresses. It is much harder to setup address
books that a client can write to. There are a number of HowTos
written, but none quite work. I would suggest that setting up an LDAP
server for user addressbooks is beyond the scope of an InstallFest.

My solution to the address sync across platforms problem was to write
a script to convert between formats. The abook package is an address
book for the mutt email reader, but it can also convert between a
number of address book formats.

--
sg

!DSPAM:45ae4f13241351021413417!