[nSLUG] ubuntu iso a dud-->Freespire works

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:41:57 AST 2007

On 1/15/07, Robert Ashley <rb.ashley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded an ubuntu iso from an American mirror. I did the md5sum
> check. That went okay. But the cd I burned won't boot. Sheesh.
>
> A guy gave me a CD of Freespire 1.0. That booted fine and I'm using it
> in "live" mode right now.
>
> I'd like to try another iso download, I guess, for practice. Any
> suggestions? I was thinking about Debian etch.

Not all ISO's produce disks that work reliably in all drives.  In my
experience, "overburning" (writing more than the original 640MB limit)
and multi-session disks are not trustworthy.  Today I burned one at
work
(test version of TeX Live 2005, nearly 700MB), using Nero on Win32,
which has the option to verify the files after burning.  The disk
worked fine at work.  At home it works in my ancient dual PPro, but
not in my relatively new Dell.  The Dell is fine with other CD's, so
there is something about this that Dell's drive (a basic CD reader)
doesn't handle properly.  Some CD's (multi-session and left open for
adding new sessions) only work in a CD writer.

These days it is rarely necessary write a full CD.  Most distros have
network installs or rescue disks that are about 150MB to download and
burn.  Fedora lets you install using the rescue disk and .iso's
mounted from a disk, so rather than burn CD's, you can use a drive in
an external USB case to move .iso images around.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:45ac2d6982331123717938!