[nSLUG] ubuntu iso a dud-->Freespire works

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Jan 15 15:28:40 AST 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:34:04 -0500
"Robert Ashley" <rb.ashley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded an ubuntu iso from an American mirror. I did the md5sum
> check. That went okay. But the cd I burned won't boot. Sheesh.
>
> A guy gave me a CD of Freespire 1.0. That booted fine and I'm using it
> in "live" mode right now.
>
> I'd like to try another iso download, I guess, for practice. Any
> suggestions? I was thinking about Debian etch.

If the md5sum check went OK, why try another download?  Sounds like your ubuntu image is fine and you should try to get it to work, as no matter which iso you try, you won't succeed until you solve this.

Try this first.  Mount the CD, examine the contents, and unmount it:

mount /cdrom
ls /cdrom
umount /cdrom

If the disc only contains the iso file, you've burnt it incorrectly.  As Stephen said, you need to do an ISO image burn in whatever software you're using.

Then try this.  Copy the image from the CD to a file, test.iso, and compute its md5sum.  It should match the md5sum of the original image:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=test.iso bs=1024
md5sum test.iso

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca