[nSLUG] Re: NS 4.7x [was: Add yourself to the nSLUG member blogs wiki page]

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Jan 13 19:00:28 AST 2007

Jeff> You want to start complaining about Fx, then lets do so. But
Jeff> thats not how this started.

Quite right. But I wasn't gratuitously complaining.  Stephen (sg)
explicitly expressed curiosity about my aversion to Firefox.

Jeff> You asked why Wiki sites all use UTF-8.

Yes.

Jeff>  Got a few arrogant responses...

Actually, I thought I got only one arrogant response. ;-)

Jeff> Look, when you have a complaint that is a valid point...

Actually, it was a rather straightforward question, one which you have
aswered, thanks, in somewhat ideological detail.

Jeff> ... and its you against 99% of people, and you express that
Jeff> complaint, you are arrogant.

Thank you for the kind words.  In a democratic system, agreement
between 99% of the people cannot be politically wrong by definition.
But 99% of the people can easily be factually wrong.  Especially they
can be wrong about such ambiguities as what is "good", "right" or
"best" in a technical domain.  Approximately 99% of "the people" use
Windows.  :-)

Jeff> Valid point or not, doing things your way quietly is eccentric.

I confess to being eccentric.  I'm relatively secluded but I make a
point of being vewy vewy quiet only when I think angry, hostile people
posessed of unshakable certainties will come after me with a pointy
stick.  I believe the word you were looking for here is "heretic".

Jeff> If you are wrong, and you try to make everyone else wrong too,
Jeff> you are an ass.

More kind words.  I've made no effort, here or elsewhere, to make
everyone else conform to my notions. As you pointed out,

Jeff> But thats not how this started. You asked why Wiki sites all use
Jeff> UTF-8.

I asked.  An accompanying explanation of why I might ask a possibly
eccentric question doesn't constitute an effort "to make everyone else
wrong".

Guess I better knock off the OT posts, give Jeff a chance to chill
out, stop distracting people with non-Linux nattering.  I'm going to
have a couple of real, technical Linux questions before long and I
don't want get into everybody's killfile.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:45a964f7240275723320339!