[nSLUG] Re: Add yourself to the nSLUG member blogs wiki page

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Jan 12 23:43:33 AST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Mike wrote:

> AFAIK, 4.76 is the last version of Netscape for Linux that is
> "Navigator", i.e. just a browser. Later versions are all
> "Communicator", i.e. also a mail client, news client, HTML composer,
> toenail clipper, dog-washer etc. Is there a Netscape Navigator 7.*?

Firefox is, essentially, "just a browser". It's not a particularly nippy
browser, especially if you're on an older machine, but that's about all it
is. Mail/news client is Thunderbird. There's a calendar app called Camino.
Pretty much everything else has been dropped by the wayside, realistically
(and Camino isn't overly popular).

There's always lynx, of course, which tends to work fairly well with
whatever you throw at it (although the thrower may not be overly happy).
links if you want some fancy features and you're willing to deal with
oddball features like the screen going off the edge.

> sg> Possibly install squid with a rewrite rule?
>
> What's squid? ...tikky..tikky..google...click, spop.  Oh, right.  Well
> I guess that might work. What I really want is a hook into the browser
> between arrival of the data stream and the processing of it where I can
> insert a parser to chuck out or modify anything I don't like.

You might be better off with either privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) or
junkbuster (http://www.junkbuster.com/), depending on exactly what it is
you're trying to do overall. Squid is a somewhat over-enthusiastic user of
system resources.

> Sometime when I'm at a high speed connection or when I'm willing to
> wait around for megabytes to come down over av. 38k dialup, I will try
> it.  I'd even pay for the ad-free version if it was friendly enough.

It's amazing when most of the world depends on low speed connections that
the high speed connected part of the world assumes everyone has high
speed. Speaking as someone who wrote the code for modems back in the day
as well as worked on DSL implementations... If you want reliability, give
me a Courier any day.

> jeff> Your client is broken.
>
> Well, yes, of course. And if there's a clever hack that fixes a
> particular brokeness that bothers me, I'll apply it.

Every client is broken is some way, though. It's a matter of finding the
least broken client for your preference.

> jeff> - use a non-broken client, out of the box

*cough*

> jeff> UTF-8 is:
> jeff>
> jeff> 1) the right thing to do in a perfect world
> jeff> 2) necessary to do to make reasonable things work in the world we live in
> jeff> 3) has support from >99% of the market

4) And then there's iso-8859 and chums to cloud the water. Being picky,
most people online in the UK understand that #50 means 50 quid.
Coincidentally (or not), shift-3 on a UK keyboard will give you the pound
sign. This dates back to (at least) the days of Fidonet supremacy.

> It's nice to have an authoritative statement like that.  By this
> standard, any shop that will replace your car's muffler should have a
> full machine shop, foundry, welding shop, body shop, wind tunnel,
> hot-galvanizing tank and more.  "Muffler" is, after all, a proper
> subset of "Everything".  Yup, they can balance your crankshaft and
> cast & machine you a new engine block.  Just spectacularly great.  But
> it's superfluous overhead if all they ever do is replace mufflers.

And they're buggered if you take a bike in and want them to overhaul the
bottom bracket, even though every car can trace its lineage to a draisine,
if you look hard enough.

Everything is broken, it's just a matter of finding the least broken thing
for your needs.

> Thanks for the suggestions all,

Er, or not. Sorry for being so cynical :-/ Long day of dealing with broken
IPSec implementations...

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:45a8556f175641378915953!