[nSLUG] Re: Add yourself to the nSLUG member blogs wiki page

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Jan 12 13:10:33 AST 2007

> If you blog and you would like to share it with other nSLUG members,
> please add yourself to this page.

Cool.

> If you have any problems or questions, just ask here on the list.

Well, I have two questions that derive from my own cranky
ideosyncrasies:

  Q1:  Why do all wiki sites use charset=UTF8, either in a <meta... tag or
       in an HTTP header?  Seems to be the case even when the venue is
       an exclusively English language one. Even for the European
       languages most commonly read by native English speakers,
       ISO-8859-1 suffices.

       Seems to me similar to the urban yuppie who drives a Unimog
       with fore & aft winches and PTOs.

  Q2:  The reason I care is that I continue to use Netscape Navigator
       4.76, the last version of Navigator for Linux. And it has a bug
       such that if the charset of a doc is declared UTF-8, it renders
       the doc in a teeny, myopic font size, overiding my preference
       selection.

       So: does anyone know of a binary patch or other hack that will
       extirpate this behaviour?  I've grovelled through the
       executable as well as all the config stuff and haven't found
       any way to do it.

Yes, I have Firefox, too, to use when I really, *really* want to see
something that embeds a few paragraphs of useful information in a
mare's nest of js, flash, UTF-8 and all the other "web designer"
chrome.  But I don't like it because ... <rant elided>.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:45a7c2c7134552106419656!