[nSLUG] Dal-ACM Linux Installfest~ RSVP

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Mon Jan 8 15:25:53 AST 2007

Hi Bob

I have a laptop with a similar processor that I am planning on
bringing to the Installfest. I had lots of problems finding and
installing a suitable distro on it (the main problem was, finding a
Debian-based distro that was new enough to support the wireless card)
but I now have Kubuntu 6.06 installed, which I am so far reasonably
happy with. I installed it by downloading the dvd iso image from the
Kubuntu web site, writing the dvd and proceeding.

The most time consuming part was partitioning the hard drive. I had
three other distros on the machine that I wanted to preserve. The dvd
has a live mode which I successfully used, with parted, to
repartition the drive (including lots of shrinking and moving around)
while preserving the other distros.

The major problem I had during the actual install occurred because
ReiserFs was not one of the file system types allowed by the
graphical installer, so I had to revert to the Debian text mode
installer and so missed out on all of the Kubuntu installation
goodies.

On a system with two hard drives and operating systems on each one, I
usually try to put the swap space on the alternate drive to avoid a
lot of seeking.

If you could get your partitioning done before the Installfest it
could save a lot of time. Does your machine have a dvd writer? I made
most of my partitions slightly larger than the 4.7 G size of a dvd to
make backups easier.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca