[NSLUG] Re: Home router advice? (USB->Centronics print service)

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Mon Jan 8 09:49:16 AST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Rich wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 22:45 -0400, Dop Ganger wrote:
>
> That what the adapter wire it for - yank the wire to turn it off, and
> push the connector in to turn it on!

Except the plug isn't designed for such repeated stress, so the core snaps
after a while, and the average consumer will buy a whole new unit because
a $3 transformer is "dead". Nice con...

> I remember seeing PIP even on the DEC PDP-11 machines at vo-tech.  What
> the heck does PIP stand for!  I can understand CLI, command line
> interface, but what were they smoking in Toronto!  (Where were the
> Commodore offices - I miss my Commodores)

Under CP/M, PIP was the Peripheral Interchange Program. A copy command
with some really weird options that would, from one command, let you do
things like copy 2 files, concatenate them, then write them off to a third
file. Or just copy a file from one drive to another.  Or copy NULs out to
a physical device.

According to wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Interchange_Program) it would
appear to have been ripped off from the PDP in the first place!

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:45a24be713264094446529!