[NSLUG] Re: Home router advice? (USB->Centronics print service)

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Jan 8 02:28:07 AST 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 22:45 -0400, Dop Ganger wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Mike wrote:
>
> > Rich> What was the model of the D-Link you had - was it the DP-300U ?
> >
> > DI-713P: 3 x cable connections, WAN, parallel (print server), serial
> > (optional modem connection) and wireless with DHCP in the router.
> > Reset button and blinkenlights.  Oddly, no on/off switch.
>
> I suspect these days you're going to be better off looking at a cheap USB
> <-> centronics connector (eg,
> http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC1284B) and going with a
> USB based print server. Otherwise you're going to be looking at faffing
> around with ebay or similar and getting a generous friend to act as a
> proxy for you.
>
> No on/off switch because they, y'know, cost money. This is residential
> grade hardware, after all, not commercial grade.

That what the adapter wire it for - yank the wire to turn it off, and
push the connector in to turn it on!  Pushing complicated buttons is for
them admin-folk... hehe

> > I even had a complete circuit diagram for my Osbornes I.
>
> Good grief. It's been a while since I heard of *that*
> laptop^Wluggable^Wsewing machine. PIP PIP!

LOL!  I was nearly out of diapers.. well.. close.. I was watching
Saturday cartoons when the PET ruled the office world.  I remember
seeing PIP even on the DEC PDP-11 machines at vo-tech.  What the heck
does PIP stand for!  I can understand CLI, command line interface, but
what were they smoking in Toronto!  (Where were the Commodore offices -
I miss my Commodores)

Rich

!DSPAM:45a1e463301861140812531!