[nSLUG] Acroread & Openoffice

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 15:33:06 AST 2007

On 1/7/07, J. Paul Bissonnette <jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> I do believe I have found the source of the problem, why I do not have a
> clue.
> I have a picture in gif format, transparent background, that I made
> about 1990 on a RISCPC for DTP. I got moved from there to Word-perfect
> on windoze, then to StarOffice, then To StarOffice on Linux then to
> OpenOffice Linux versions 0.x, 1.x, 2.x. Now it is causing problems. it
> seems that Acroread 7.0.8 doesn't handle transparencies.
>
> Just happens the gif is in a template that I have been using for my
> invoices, letterhead, brochures all this time.

It is much more likely that there is some minor glitch in the pdf
format that is now rejected by Adobe Reader due to more careful
validation of input data needed to prevent attacks using malformed
PDF's.  With pdftex, artwork can be put into individual PDF's and
"placed" in the document.  I don't know if OpenOffice has similar
capabilities.  You
could try converting the gif to other formats (png, tiff).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:45a14af3272341273814697!