[NSLUG] Re: Home router advice? (USB->Centronics print service)

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 09:11:49 AST 2007

On 1/6/07, Mike <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

>     Has anyone used a cable with a USB plug on one end and a
>     Centronics plug on the other to connect such a USB port on a
>     router printserver to a Centronics port on a printer?
>
> Just looking at the plugs and cable, it *looks* like it's supposed to
> work.  I was hoping someone had actually done it and knew that it
> would work.

Simple low end devices are generally based on one of a couple chipsets
used by multiple far-east vendors.  Many of these devices depend on a
driver that downloads firmware each time it is plugged in, so you
might be looking at one of the systems that runs windows drivers under
linux.  To avoid such devices, look for devices that work with Apple
OS's and don't come with a CDROM. The biggest problem is that the
models that have been around long enough for users to get them working
have often been replaced by newer models with newer, more complicated
drivers that may cause complications (e.g., need linux kernel with
16-k stacks).

When I need something like this, I make a list of specific models and
look for actual user reports (google) using the USB and or FCC ID's.
The <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/index.php> site is a good place to
start -- a search for "parallel" gives lots of hits.  Many hits are
for laptop USB "docking stations" that provide parallel and serial
ports.  For a major vendor (IBM) you can often find FAQ's with lists
of bXuXgXsX features and firmware upgrades.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:459fa018164341276920782!