[NSLUG] Re: Home router advice? (USB->Centronics print service)

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Jan 6 05:26:47 AST 2007

> http://groups.archivesat.com/readthread.php?mid=193291&start=0

Hah!  No wonder the computer store guys are more befuddled than I am.
Some assume an IP-aware printer, some assume a USB-driven printer,
some assume blah blah... :-)  At least one reader on that site got it
right (I think... :-).

> From what I can tell in the posts, the port is pretty much a raw
> device.  This is like the old ethernet print server devices.  Connect
> to the IP, and send raw.

Yes, that's right and that's what I had with the now-failed D-Link
router. Any format conversion, filtering or formatting through a
printer-specific driver was done on the host.  The router just
accepted that over TCP/IP from any localnet host and sent it out as
raw data through its parallel printer port.

> In linux, setup a remote printer, the local machine will handle the
> correct filter to format the data.  Treat it like a remote printer
> port.

Right, that's what I've been doing. The problem isn't in configuring
my boxen to do that, it's because my printer expects
parallel/Centronics input and currently available routers with this
capability output the data stream to the printer through a USB port.

The question is:

    Has anyone used a cable with a USB plug on one end and a
    Centronics plug on the other to connect such a USB port on a
    router printserver to a Centronics port on a printer?

Just looking at the plugs and cable, it *looks* like it's supposed to
work.  I was hoping someone had actually done it and knew that it
would work.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:459f6ce0145101505615216!