[nSLUG] chown, chmod or what

rejean chamberland laudire2you at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 5 22:59:18 AST 2007

Sorry, my wrong! I should have been more specific. I should have said 2 distros already installed on either the same internal hard drive or 2 internal hardrives.

Joe Dunn <me at joedunn.com> wrote: ssh distroA -l root
chown -R rejean:rejean /home/rejean (make sure /home/rejean/.ssh is owned correctly)
then turn off root ssh logins in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

now for the file you want if you already don't have it

put cd media in distroA
mount cdrom
browse to file
cp file /home/rejean
have a beer

Cheers

Joe

On 1/5/07, rejean chamberland  <laudire2you at yahoo.ca> wrote:Hi all!
Let's say that I want a fairly long text file from distro A into distro B. The only way I know how to do it ( in say distro B) is;
mkdir /mnt/distroA
mount /dev/haa? /mnt/distroA

Then I go into /mnt in distro B and work my way up to where the file is ( supposed /home/rejean/Desktop ) but then when I try to open the file I am told that I don't have the permission.

This afternoon I tried;
chown /mnt/distroA/home/rejean

and now I cannot login distroA as 'rejean' only as root.
2 quick questions if I may;
1. What should I normally do in such a situation.
2. Is there any way to fix the problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Rejean

      !DSPAM:459eed5b118431659375266! _______________________________________________