[nSLUG] chown, chmod or what

rejean chamberland laudire2you at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 5 19:27:23 AST 2007

Hi all!
Let's say that I want a fairly long text file from distro A into distro B. The only way I know how to do it ( in say distro B) is;
mkdir /mnt/distroA
mount /dev/haa? /mnt/distroA

Then I go into /mnt in distro B and work my way up to where the file is ( supposed /home/rejean/Desktop ) but then when I try to open the file I am told that I don't have the permission.

This afternoon I tried;
chown /mnt/distroA/home/rejean

and now I cannot login distroA as 'rejean' only as root.
2 quick questions if I may;
1. What should I normally do in such a situation.
2. Is there any way to fix the problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Rejean

http://mail.yahoo.com