[nSLUG] Home router advice? (USB->Centronics print service)

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Jan 4 17:45:54 AST 2007

Can anyone suggest a wireless/cable router cum print server that is
known to work with Linux and, especially, with a parallel-cable driven
printer? Has anyone used a router with a USB printer port to drive a
parallel printer?

Until it failed last week, I had a D-Link wireless router with 3 cable
ports and a print server with a parallel output plug.  Worked fine
using lprng [1] and adding an incantation like "lp=lp at 192.168.0.1" to
appropriate places in /etc/printcap on all localnet machines.

Now, it seems, any router with print server capacity has a USB port
for the printer.  USB->Centronics printer cables are available.

BUT: Not a single one of the people at the four local computer stores
is Linux literate. So not one has a clue about how the thing actually
works. All they can do is tell me about what will or might happen with
Windoes [2], Windoes driver problems etc.

So, has anyone actually used a router with USB print server capacity,
output through a USB port, via a USB->Centronics cable to a parallel
printer?  If so, what make and model?  What gotchas?

Or is it perfectly straightforward on all print server routers and I'm
just being led into befuddlement by the Linux-challenged store guys?

Tnx,
- Mike

[1] Yes, I know about CUPS.  Couldn't make it run my Brother HL-641
    laser printer, apparently for want of a suitable driver.  lprng
    works fine.

[2] J. Danforth Quayle spelling.

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:459d770f33781897375225!