[nSLUG] ubuntu iso a dud

Mark Lane lmlane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 14:35:16 AST 2007

On 2/24/07, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Robert Ashley <rb.ashley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Appreciate the follow-up. I seem to be doing fine with Debian Etch.
> > Or, it's just putting up with me.
> >
> > So like I remember a couple of years back when first exposed to Linux
> > and this group. Most of the sophisticates advised sticking with one
> > distro over flitting from one to the other. So I did.
> >
> > That said, maybe I've gone the other extreme--Debian-welded. I've
> > never even tried anything else.  A real shut-in, I guess.
>
> The important thing is that you aren't missing out on anything
> important by sticking with debian.  Red Hat and other RPM-based
> distros are suffering from shortcomings of the RPM package manager.  A
> new project to fix RPM has begun, but the transition is likely to be
> painful.  As a user you don't need unnecessary annoyances from a
> broken PM.

Does that mean that apt-get can handle multilib environments now? Last
I checked if you wanted to run a 64bit debian box you will have lots
of extra trouble mixing 64bit and 32bit libraries because apt-get
can't handle multilib dependencies.

While RPM based distros have their problems so does debian.

--
Mark Lane, CET <lmlane at gmail.com>

!DSPAM:45e1d87310081558277213!