[nSLUG] hostname, /etc/hosts, DHCP

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 11:51:33 AST 2007

Hi,

thank you for your reply, Doug.

Doug McComber wrote:
 > To change this behaviour so that your laptop uses the values it
 > specifies you need to edit the DHCP client script for each interface
 > so that it tells the DHCP server that it already has a hostname and
 > domainname thank you very much, keep yours. I can't remember the
 > specific files for this in Debian but you will find them somewhere in
 > the heirarchy of /etc/sysconfig. And the value you need to modify or
 > add is something like:
 >
 > DHCP_HOSTNAME=myhostname.mydomain

Setting environment variables somewhere in /etc/sysconfig seems
Redhat-ish. ;)

 > Or something similar (anyone know the syntax for sure). Once you've
 > done this your /etc/hosts file is still valid, but just for looking up
 > ip address (which is it's purpose).

Well, the IP address(es) are not statically configured on the client
(i.e. the laptop). They are configured as "static leases" at the DHCP
server on the router.

The static lease table is basically a configurable mapping from MAC
addresses to IP addresses (in the range 192.168.1.x) with an optional
hostname setting.

I found the DHCP client config file on Debian/Ubuntu and I am trying the
following now (in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf):

send host-name "satellite";

And I have removed "host-name" from the list after "request" in that file.

Also I removed all hostname definitions from the static lease table on
the router.

And I have changed /etc/hosts according to the new Debian policy of not
putting the hostname as an alias for localhost but on a seperate "local"
line:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 satellite.local satellite

This makes sense to me. The name of "local network" is now simply
"local". The latter is necessary for "hostname -f" and "hostname -s" to
work without "unknown host" error.

cheers
Oliver

--