[nSLUG] Partition resizing question

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Wed Feb 21 21:12:34 AST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 20:34 -0400, George N. White III wrote:
> Dual boot is rarely successful

Why do you say that?  I have been dual-booting my home computer for,
well, I don't know but it was kernel 1.2.3 in one partition and DOS on
the other.  I take you point about virtual machines, but on a
resource-strapped machine dual-boot can be much more efficient.  If you
need to share files between linux and other OSes, your USB disk idea
will still work fine, or you can leave a small FAT partition on your
hard drive, or rely on the fact that Linux can read and now write NTFS
just fine.  Personally, I almost never need to move files from one OS to
the other; I use them for different things (Windows for games, Linux for
everything else).

There are lots of tools for resizing a Windows partition, but just using
parted isn't enough -- you need to resize the filesystem as well as the
partition.    Probably the best method is not to resize at all, but to
use Linux (either an installation program or a live CD) to partition the
disk, then install Windows, then install linux such that {lilo,grub} can
boot either system.

--
Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca>

!DSPAM:45dcee0352151994935952!