[nSLUG] Machine Freezes on PCMCIA Card Insertion

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 20:41:25 AST 2007

On 2/20/07, Brandon W. Uhlman <brandon at branflakes.net> wrote:

> Hey, all.
>
> At my job here in BC, we recently came across a small crate of old
> Gateway laptops (mid-level P3s) that used to be part of a travelling
> lab, and I decided to bring one home and see if I couldn't get Linux
> running on it, which I did fairly successfully.
>
> The only problem I've run into is with the PCMCIA wlan card I'm using,
> a Linksys WPC11 (V1), which uses the hermes drivers from the kernel. I
> was able to boot the machine once or twice with the wireless card in
> it and use it succesfully, but now whenever I do, it freezes at the
> time when it detects the card in the bootup sequence, or if the
> machine is already started, it freezes immediately on insertion.
>
> Nothing is recorded in the logfiles, and nothing strange looking
> appears in the output of dmesg.
>
> I'm running Gentoo, kernel 2.6.19.
>
> Has anybody run into a similar problem at some point?

One way to get an i386 linux kernel to lock up is to use too small
stack size.  Redhat likes 4k stacks, but some drivers and filesystems
(SGI XFS on ide, NDIS wrapper) need a larger stack, usually people run
16k
after they find 4k is too small.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:45dce6b846632283614012!