[nSLUG] Partition resizing question

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:17:34 AST 2007

Hello everyone,

I have not posted here in a long time.  How has the winter been in
Halifax so far?  I miss the snow.

A partitioning question: A friend wants to have a dual boot system on
his laptop that has a 80 gig hd.  We tried resizing the partition to
free up some space for linux using Gparted, but the program fails to
write the changes to the disk.  The drive is /dev/hda but Gparted keeps
on looking for /dev/hdb.  I am baffled by this.

A quick google search hinted that windows needed "chkdsk /f" before
Gparted could proceed, but haven't had any luck with that approach
either.  Yes, I am running Gparted as root (off of Ubuntu live cd).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Vikram

Vikram Chhatre