[nSLUG] Re: Graphics library?

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 17 04:18:26 AST 2007

Jason> Allegro is ok. OpenGL is ok. They will both have quite a few
Jason> things you'll need to pick up....

Yeah, the Allegro manual.PS is 450 pages long. :-)

Jason> Also, in case you weren't aware, you can also produce
Jason> animations in gnuplot.

I think I vaguely recall seeing a demo of that somewhere.  But I don't
think that's the answer for this project.

Jason> Povray....It's main advantage over one of the first two is the
Jason> ability to draw what you want initially, and then only have to
Jason> change the position, rotation, etc., of the objects you have.

Sprites, right?  Allegro seems to have that, too.  The sprite demo is
pretty slick.

George> Nice classroom project -- if I were you I'd work on a web page
George> with a good description of the problem and try to interest an
George> engineering prof.

No, no, no, George. :-) That would be like getting a phys. ed. class
at St. Mary's to play golf for me because I don't know how.  Or at
best like Andy Warhol having a crew of guys who did the tedious stuff
of actually making his art work.

Anyhow, there are a bunch of things that I'd like to visualize (more
or less) in this way and want to learn how to do it.  I did a little
bit with static images some time ago and I'm just getting back to it.

        http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/hammer.html

Does anybody in the NS academic community have a high speed digital
camera?

George> It sounds like the machine state is relatively simple -- just
George> a list of angles, so you need a set of drawings that
George> approximate all the states, and rules for the transitions.
George> These rules would be used to pick the next drawing.

Well, I hadn't thought of it as a state machine.  I guess that, for a
single setting of the parameters, the states might be few enough to do
it that way.  But ideally, I'd like to see what happens as I tweak a
slider bar with the mouse to gradually change a parameter and see how
the behaviour changes.  I'm guessing that there are just too many
possible states, even just using a few discrete values of each of the
parameters  within their respective ranges.

George> Can you get the movie?

You mean of the strobe experiments?  Dave made an instructional video
based on his investigagtion of how these hammers behave but he didn't
include his strobe stuff.  It would be easy enough to shoot a video of
mine in operation but you can't make adjustments on the real machine
on the fly. Turn off, get wrenches....etc.

I was still using a 486 and MS-DOS 5 when I last fooled with this
stuff.  Even my now-obsolete PIII with Slack 10.1 should be able do a
lot more.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:45d6baa0189225185214988!