[nSLUG] Graphics library?

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Wed Feb 14 01:01:57 AST 2007

What is the end goal here? Programming graphics? Or getting good
graphics with some tool? povray comes to mind as a raytracer, I think
you just give it some (text) file, and it goes at it. No doubt there are
library bindings for every language you can shake a stick at.

The number of people that programs in "X" can only be compared to the
number of people who know how to write unique JCL. I'm sure you are
talking OpenGL, unless you really, really, enjoy pain: Safari turns up
no less then 52 books with Section (or Book) Titles containing the
string "OpenGL".

The other option is Blender. Within that app, you can write Python
scripts. I have no idea how accessible it is externally.

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 00:46 -0400, Mike wrote:
> I want to do some animations of mechanical devices -- rotating parts,
> connecting rods, springs etc.  Doesn't need to be even vaguely
> realistic.  Looking around for a graphics C library that will be easy
> to use.  The options seem to be:
>
>      svgalib:
>
>         Lots of clever stuff but a pathetic set of drawing primitives.
>         You have to write polygons, wide lines, flood fill etc. from
>         scratch. (Don't care about the suid requirement that alienates
>         purists.)

>         Have to learn to program in X.  Major learning project. Nobody
>         in Halifax even stocks the books.
>
>      GGI
>
>        Anybody use this with an svgalib "target"?  A quick browse over
>        the src suggests that ggi also has pathetically few drawing
>        primitives.
>

> Is there anything else?  What have you used?  Any suggestions?  Is
> there even a *commercial* package for Linux that does this? (Of
> course, I'm not interested in video rendering packages at $K and up.)
>
> This is so annoying that I'm tempted to boot up DOS 5.0 and go back to
> Borland Turbo C at 640x480.  Plenty of irritations there, too, but at
> least it has a fair selection of drawing primitives.
>

> By the way, what happened to the svgalib project?  The mailing list
> seems to be defunct, the newsgroup has no (negligible?) traffic and
> the guy (Jay Link) who wrote the Great Fat Book (from Coriolis) seems
> to have abandoned his domain to squatters.
>

> - Mike

!DSPAM:45d297d324461650477803!