[nSLUG] Graphics library?

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Feb 14 00:46:01 AST 2007

I want to do some animations of mechanical devices -- rotating parts,
connecting rods, springs etc.  Doesn't need to be even vaguely
realistic.  Looking around for a graphics C library that will be easy
to use.  The options seem to be:

     svgalib:

        Lots of clever stuff but a pathetic set of drawing primitives.
        You have to write polygons, wide lines, flood fill etc. from
        scratch. (Don't care about the suid requirement that alienates
        purists.)

        Have to learn to program in X.  Major learning project. Nobody
        in Halifax even stocks the books.

     GGI

       Anybody use this with an svgalib "target"?  A quick browse over
       the src suggests that ggi also has pathetically few drawing
       primitives.

Is there anything else?  What have you used?  Any suggestions?  Is
there even a *commercial* package for Linux that does this? (Of
course, I'm not interested in video rendering packages at $K and up.)

This is so annoying that I'm tempted to boot up DOS 5.0 and go back to
Borland Turbo C at 640x480.  Plenty of irritations there, too, but at
least it has a fair selection of drawing primitives.

By the way, what happened to the svgalib project?  The mailing list
seems to be defunct, the newsgroup has no (negligible?) traffic and
the guy (Jay Link) who wrote the Great Fat Book (from Coriolis) seems
to have abandoned his domain to squatters.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:45d2944423031781617006!